The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

School Funds

The Misusing of School Funds

The misuse of funds in the school system is unnecessary. This includes the trend between photography at the expense of other varieties of art. First of all, a considerably big portion of the budget is sometimes placed in huge photography projects. This includes the overwhelming amount of cameras that are brought to capture school events. While these events are crucial to capture for a school’s history, this amount of time and money on photography is neglecting the other types of art expression. This includes visual arts, performing arts but is not limited to music. This greatly lowers the rate of development of students with diverse interests. 

This attraction towards photography equipment can turn away the funds that we actually need. For example, we need resources for better education, better and more updated school computers, classroom supplies, extracurricular activities, field trips, etc. This allows the students to become frustrated with the school system and feel as if their needs are not being fulfilled. While showcasing student work is important, there is an overemphasis on visual appeal, and due to this it can overshadow artistic education. This includes hands-on experiences, collaborative projects, and exposure to various art forms. 

The unbalanced amount of funds towards photography, is at the expense of artistic discipline. It not only limits students’ exposure to diverse forms of creativity but also leads to a belief of unbalanced perception of the arts. A better approach to various types of art form funding is essential, and plays a big role in how confident students will feel in their creative hobbies. Resources should be distributed equally across a diverse amount of art forms, to foster a truly amazing educational experience for all students.