The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Oil Drills

The Cons of Oil Drilling

Oil drilling seems like an easy decision on the surface, but the more you look into it, the harder it is to choose. The more you think about it, more animals are losing their habitats. As a big animal lover myself, it is heartbreaking to have Alaska’s wildlife be possibly ruined over our selfish needs. There has to be better ways of gathering oil, or oil alternatives. I mean, there actually is, but people don’t want to spend a lot of money, due to it being a bit more expensive. These companies are trying to get this oil, with no regard for life. With these oil drilling, it raises the temperature in the global atmosphere. This is bad, especially considering that glaciers and ice are melting already in Antarctica and Alaska. Animals will and already are losing their habitats this way. Polar bears are having a hard time hunting, as the ice is melting. They have no way of reaching their food, and are having to adapt onto land. Due to this, these snowy bears are having to get in contact with the locals of Alaska. When these bears try to adapt, they may be successful, but even then, they get killed or injured by locals out of self defense. This can eventually cause the extinction of polar bears, along with other animals, as they can’t evolutionalize and adapt this rapidly. 

On the other hand, living with these expensive gas prices is undeniably hard. Inflation is rocketing at an all time high, and while this is happening, the average wage is still below average. Living in this day and age is getting harder than it used to, as there is more demand for money. Biden shut down all the oil drill operations that were taking part in Alaska, plus any oil operations that are taking place on federal land. These choices that Biden has made are causing political fallout, as the Republican Parties are using it against him and saying that he “…stifled American energy independence.” Whether you like Biden or not, he is trying to do something good, even if it is affecting us humans negatively. Either way, this choice will affect us, even if you try to ignore it. It’s better to take action now, instead of waiting till it’s too late.