The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Distant Memory of the Tooele Central School

History Turned Commercial
Camden Horrocks
The second story of the Tooele Central School, featuring a chandelier.

The Tooele Central School has a rich history. It was built in the late 1800’s as an elementary school. This school was centrally located in Tooele, Utah, and held from preschool to elementary. The school went under multiple expansions and renovations as the school continued to grow in size. Tooele Central School has three stories, including a basement. The lower levels held preschool students and the highest floor held up to fifth grade students. The cafeteria was located on the first floor, and in order to get to the second and third floors, there was a set of stairs with high ceilings. Or if you don’t feel like walking up the two stories, an elevator can work just as good. 

Just over a decade ago, the school was run down and was just collecting dust; people would sneak in to go urban exploring, leave graffiti and vandalism. It was thought that ghosts were living there, as there was a rumor that the school was haunted by little kids, but that is simply not true. “Four years I’ve been living here, and not once have I seen a ghost,” said a now resident of the old building. Several years ago, Mathew Arbshay bought the property and decided to give a little shine to the old dusty school, and made it into a multiple story condo for residents to live in. 

Now, it looks as good as new; you wouldn’t even guess it was an old, run down, elementary school. The history is now just a distant memory, as it attracts people who are looking for a place to live.