The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

DIY Valentines Gifts That are Sure to Sweep Them Off There Feet

Valentine’s day is coming quickly, it’s a chance to make your loved ones feel special. For many people, life gets busy and time moves by quickly, before you know it you have three days to get a meaningful gift. So, here are 3 easy DIY valentines gifts that are sure to sweep them off their feet.

1. Homemade Flower Bouquet

Store bought flower bouquets are pretty, but if you really want them to feel special go to trader joes or a local flower shop, buy all of their favorite flowers and put them together to make a bouquet. Brooklyn Olson, junior, said, “I love making flower bouquets; it was so fun and a great activity. I loved being proud of what I made and being able to show it off, and bonding with my friends. I also just really like flowers.” This should cost $20-$30 depending on the kind o flowers you get and how big a bouquet you want.

Supplies:

• 2-3 bunches of big flowers (roses, tulips, carnations, ect)

• 1-2 bunches of filler flowers (baby’s breath, miniature daisies, ect)

• Metal wire

• Floral tape

• Ribbon

• Scissors

• Plyers

Directions:

•  Start by taking the packaging off of the flowers. Then separate the flowers.

• Arrange the flowers, using three big flowers and then one stem of filler flowers. Repeat this grouping pattern until you make a full bouquet.

• Once the bouquet is the size you want, wrap a strand wire around the top of the stems and twist it tight. Wrap floral tape around the wire.

•  Cut the stems of the flowers shorter and at a 45 degree angle.

• Wrap ribbon around the stems by starting at the top wrapping it down to the bottom and then back to the top. Use the floral tape to tape the end of the ribbon. Then cut a long strand of ribbon and tie a bow where the floral tap is.

• Put the bouquet in water and vase

2. Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Chocolate covered strawberries are delicious but simple and easy to make. Your loved ones will appreciate this delicious treat. Keltin Byrd, junior, said, “Chocolate covered strawberries are really fun and easy to make with your friends or family. They make a great gift for anyone and can make anyone feel appreciated.” This should cost $7-$10 depending on how much your local grocery stores strawberries cost.

Ingredients:

• One package of strawberries

• One 10 oz bag of melting chocolate or 3 cups of chocolate chips

• Wax paper

Directions:

• Start by laying a sheet of wax paper on the counter

• Wash and dry the strawberries

• Pour the chocolate into a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted.

• Once melted, dip the strawberries in the chocolate and place on the wax paper.

• Let cool completely then place in a container or on a valentine’s plate.

3.  Photo album

If you have any photos of you and your valentine this is an easy way to relive the moment. This could cost between $5-$10 depending on how many photos you want.

Supplies:

• Photo paper

• Printer

• Hole punch

• Ribbon

• 2 index cards

• Markers

Directions:

• Start by printing out your pictures about the size of an index card and then cut them out. If it’s easier you can order your pictures from a printing company.

• Next put a hole punch in the top left corner of the photos and the index cards. The index cards will act as the cover of the photo album so put one in front of all the photos and one in back of all the photos.

• Loop a ribbon through the hole and tie it into a bow (lose enough that you can flip through the photos)

• Decorate the cover and write a note and your done