The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Welcoming in Women’s History Month

Welcoming in Womens History Month

“You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right,” said Rosa Parks, a civil rights activist. Rosa Parks and many other inspiring women throughout history have fearlessly fought for what they believed was right, which in turn has shaped the world we live in today.

The month of March is designated as Women’s History Month where we honor women’s contributions to the history of America. According to WomensHistory.org, inspiring historical women were first honored in Santa Rosa, California in 1978 as a week-long local celebration. The movement started to spread like wildfire across the country, and in 1987 congress passed a law designating all of March to be Women’s History Month. But what is Women’s History Month and why is it celebrated? History.com defines Women’s History Month as “…a dedicated month to reflect on the often-overlooked contributions of women to U.S. history. From Abigail Adams to Susan B. Anthony, Sojourner Truth to Rosa Parks.” Women’s History Month encourages reflection and serves as a reminder of what these amazing women did.

Madeleine Albright, U.S. Secretary of State born in 1937, said, “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” Influential women, such as Madeleine Albright, along with many others are celebrated during this holiday. Countries around the world celebrate Women’s History Month in various ways, such as demonstrations or giving women gifts and flowers. This holiday is also a reminder to appreciate the women in our lives who have influenced us the most.

Ellie Mondragon, Junior, said that out of all the women in her life that she looks up to the most, it would definitely be her mom. “She went through a pretty tough time when she was younger and didn’t have the best upbringing. She was also struggling with her mental health, but she really pushed through. She’s just a big success story. It shows that even when you’re at your lowest moments, you can still come right back up at it again. She’s been a big influence on me and she’s always there for me and my siblings.”

Mrs. Wing, staff member, said, “Miss Linares is one of the best people I know. She’s on top of her game and she’s a great teacher at Grantsville High School.”

Lincoln Johnson, Sophomore, said, “My mother, cause she’s always been there for me and always supported me in everything I’ve done.”

Not only is Women’s History Month a time to appreciate the women in our lives, but it is also a reminder of the importance of standing up for something important. The National Women’s History Alliance designates a yearly theme for Women’s History Month. This year’s theme is “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.”

Alice Walker, a social activist and novelist born in 1944, advocated for equity. She said, “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”

While Women’s History Month is celebrated and loved by most, it can also be a bit controversial for others. The month sometimes evokes skepticism or even criticism, because of the belief that this holiday is sexist, due to only celebrating women and not men. However, this holiday is not intended to tear anyone, of any gender down. Rather, this month is to help us realize how far we have come.

This holiday may also be controversial because of the implication that women were excluded from history. Kimberly A. Hamlin wrote, “Women’s History Month unintentionally reinforced the prevailing idea that when women do something, it is called ‘women’s history,’ and when men do something, it is called ‘history.’

Cultureamp.com responded by saying, “Women have been intentionally excluded from the official history of many countries and cultures. When the Founding Fathers wrote the U.S. Constitution in 1887, women’s rights were not a strong consideration. Throughout U.S. history, women have had to fight for the right to vote (1920), to own property (1700s ~ 1970s)…to access equal education (1700s ~ 1980s), and much more.”

Negative perspectives on Women’s History Month focus on past suffering of women, unfair expectations within our current society, abusive treatment, or unfair laws specifically against women. While it is important to not forget the past nor ignore current problems in society. It is also vital to turn our attention towards what we have accomplished as a society.

Maya Angelou, a writer and civil rights activist born in 1928, said, “My mission in life is not merely to survive but to thrive and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

Like Maya Angelou, we can change our outlook to be positive and hopeful. Women’s History Month is a reminder of all women who suffered or still suffer. We also celebrate the inspiring women and men who stood up and changed the world for the better. This month we recognize the historical achievements of women. Women’s History Month is a time to remember how far we’ve come and to celebrate how far we will go.