The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

An Interview with Ms.Daley

Being a teacher can be a hard job sometimes. It’s having to tolerate loud noise from the seats, or an overwhelming amount of work to grade. But with this teacher, it couldn’t have been more wrong. “I love working with teenagers, they’re more fun than children.” This is surprising, as lots of teachers seem to think otherwise. Yes, teens are going through puberty and are trying to figure out themselves, but that’s the fun of it. “The challenge is what is exciting.” Teaching is not meant to be easy. These adults sometimes have to deal with unruly students who hate you, no matter what you do. But Ms. Daley truly couldn’t care less, she never forces you to like her class or tries to be “cool.” Yes, she’s different but that’s who she is. It’s not an act. And from what has been seen and heard, people don’t truly know her until you’re in her class.

Being a teacher has truly made her into a better person, and has allowed her to become more open-minded. She tries to build trust within her students by matching their energy and cracking jokes. “To become a master teacher, you have to change every day.” Change is the biggest challenge of them all, whether you are a teacher or not. Ms. Daley only wishes that other teachers would hold their students accountable. Only that way, would students be able to change for the better.

This enigmatic teacher has been to multiple different schools, all the way from down south, to far up west. “…the culture in the South is very culturally different, eager to please, and very respectful.” With a higher drive to succeed, due to lower income and strict parents, colored students learn to appreciate their fellow teachers. In Ms.Daley’s case, the drive to learn is much stronger for colored students. This goes hand-in-hand with how African Americans, Mexican Americans, and others have a lower income rate, different cultures, and different family relationships. 

An experience that has changed her life, was living in the South. There have been tough times as some schools don’t have taxes to support them. Due to this, Ms. Daley has had experiences with parents who had been less privileged. For example, a lower-income family who wants their children to succeed, but is left with the burden of unemployment. A more understanding perspective has derived from these experiences. And had brought much respect for her students. 

Even though being a teacher has its fork in the road every once in a while, she never had once thought of quitting. Being able to teach math, one of the students’ hardest subjects, has challenged her with different learning styles and teaching methods for her and her students alike. Due to this amount of wisdom, she has gained respect from all kinds of students and will continue to grow.