The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

S.A.D Means Singles Awareness Day

Are you single? Do you hate when Valentine day comes around and you don’t have a special someone to spend it with? Today is your lucky day!

On Febuary 15, the United States celebrates National Singles Awareness Day according to the National Day Calender. Singles Awareness Day or S.A.D. was born in 2001 and is accredited to, at the time, highschool student, Dustin Barnes. “He came up with the idea as a high school student in 2001 along with his fellow single friends as a lighthearted way to celebrate their single status” said Dictionary.com. 

During this holiday singles across the U.S. celebrate in many different ways some of which include hanging out with other single friends, treating themselves by buying themselves flowers or chocolate, and posting on social media with #singlesawarenessday. Some people even wear green or black. They do this because green is the opposite of red and black is the absence of color. Even people in relationships can observe National Singles Awareness day by recognizing and celebrating their single friends.

“There’s nothing wrong with being single” said the National Day Calender. Being single just means you are at a different place in your life than some of your peers who are in a relationship. National Day Calender said there are several benefits to being unattached which include but are not limited to not answering to someone and being able to come and go as you please, singles are more self-reliant and involved, more healthy, can focus on your self and becoming better, and have more time for friends. 

So whether youre single or not this Valentines season, either celebrate or remember those singles in your life and make it a happy day and not a S.A.D one.