The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Softball Region Championship Game Delayed

The softball team was expected to play two games at home this week but ended up only playing one due to the rain. The team was able to host Ogden on Tuesday and hold senior night. On Friday the team was supposed to host Morgan for the region championship game but were unable to because of the weather. 

The team has a record of 12-9, and a region record of 8-1. This year there are 28 players. Eleven freshmen, eight sophomores, five juniors, and four seniors. 

The team practices every day after school to work on improving their fundamentals. The day before a game the girls work on fielding and batting. Payten Bytheway, sophomore pitcher, said, “When we practice before a game day we do a combo of both fielding and batting. We focus on the main issues and work our way up. We then end the practice with something fun to bring the energy and hype of the game. I, and any pitchers who wants to, stay after practice to get our pitching practice done for game day.”

The team played Ogden on Tuesday and celebrated their seniors. The girls are sad to see their friends go but happy they got to play with them. The seniors left a positive impact on many of the girls. Saydee Thornton, sophomore, said, “I’m so sad about the seniors leaving. I feel like I’ve made a relationship with each of them and I’m going to miss them. They have impacted this team a lot and have had to fill some big roles this season, they have been great!”.  The team ended the day beating Ogden 12-2. 

The girls went back to work the rest of the week. Practicing and preparing for Morgan on Friday. The girls are excited to have this match up for the region championship game. The team has won region the past three years in a row and are hoping to get another title for the fourth year. 

Friday came quickly but the weather had taken a toll. Friday morning rain had struck the town. The girls waited eagerly to find out if they were going to be able to play or if they would have to postpone the game. Around 1:00 the rain still continued to come. The girls got their answer. The game had been canceled. Brooklyn Olson, junior outfielder, said, “ I am kind of relieved that the game was canceled. It is the region championship game and I don’t think anyone would want to play in the rain, although we are taught to play through all elements. The game will be rescheduled for Tuesday, hopefully it will be better weather.” 

The girls will have to wait another week to see who the region champions will be. On Tuesday the team will play Morgan if the weather is good. After the girls will practice the rest of the week and prepare for the first and second round of state. Then if the girls continue to win they will play in the state tournament on May 9-11 at the Spanish Fork Softball Complex where they hope to bring home another state title for the second year in a row.