The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Whipping up important skills

The importance of learning to cook
Marshall+Butler%2C+Carson+Anderson+in+foods+class+holding+fries+
Olivia Richardson
Marshall Butler, Carson Anderson in foods class holding fries

More than 28% of young adults don’t know how to cook and they lack basic skills in the kitchen. Being able to cook is a vital life skill that many children these days don’t have. Learning how to cook helps kids learn healthy eating habits and creates a good relationship with food, if a child never learns how to cook they may never learn and rely on fast food or doordash. 

Here at Grantsville High there is a class provided for students to learn how to cook and avoid a bad lifestyle called Foods. This class helps students learn the importance of the type of food you put in your body and how to cook. Mrs. Johnson, the Food and Nutrition teacher at Grantsville High School, has been teaching for 2 years in the FACS department even though she previously taught preschool for 15 years! 

This semester there are 177 students in the Food and Nutrition class. Mrs. Johnson loves to make a difference in students’ lives by teaching them how to be successful in the kitchen. “I love teaching students how to cook in Foods and Culinary 1 classes, and teaching students how to be successful in the kitchen. This makes my teaching position very enjoyable and rewarding. I like to make a difference in the lives of my students”. 

Within Foods class you not only learn how to cook, you learn how to do dishes, what certain items are/what they do, you learn how what foods you should eat and what foods you should have in moderation, and you do it all with other students around you so it also teaches you teamwork and social skills.

“Remember, life is a journey, not a destination. Stay curious, open- minded, and compassionate to yourself and others. Your path may twist and turn, but each experience provides an opportunity to go and discover yourself” said Mrs. Johnson. 

Go explore yourself, go explore the kitchen, go explore the world! Learn how to cook, eat good and nutritious foods so you can live a full life full of adventures. You can start here, at Grantsville High School. Come learn to cook!