Student Art Selected for Springville Art Museum Show

From a camera lens to a paintbrush, students’ unique visions came to life in art that was chosen for the high school student talent display at the Springville Art Museum this month.

“One night, my dad and I went out on a clear night and decided to drive out to this bus by Wendover,” said Landen Madsen. “I got my camera out and realized how eerie the bus looked sitting there on the weird ground.”

Artists find inspiration from many things, with the most common being their surroundings.

“With the way the bus looked, the way the ground looked, and the clear sky, it made the photo perfect,” said Madsen.

Madsen’s art titled “Battle Bus” was submitted in the category of digital photography.

Madsen said, “I showed the photo to my photo teacher and he really liked it, so we submitted it to the 51st Annual Utah All-State High School Art Show and it got accepted.”

Only 30% of submissions to the  51st Annual Utah All-State High School Art Show were selected with over 1000 entries.

“After I made my project in photoshop I submitted it online and then it took a few days and then they got back to us and said that I had made it in,” said Savannah Ewer.

The submission deadline for the art was on January 10, 2023, at 11:59 pm with the artists of accepted works being notified by 3:00 pm on January 13th.

“Honestly I feel great. I put a lot of hard work into that and so I’m really happy with how it turned out and the fact that I was able to get in,” said Ewer.

Artists of accepted works have the chance to win several awards and art-related scholarships.

“Something that I’ve always loved to draw is any animals in particular and I’ve always loved big cats so I drew that Jaguar because they always have some sort of  I don’t know carine calmness even when they’re hunting,” said Ewer. “That’s why I named it the hunter because it looks like it’s peering through the leaves at something it’s about to catch and I just really love drawing those big cats and especially their eyes I love making them pop.”

The art show will run from February 4th – March 24th, 2023 and visitors can see the displays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm  Tuesday – Saturday, or 10:00 am – 8:00 pm on Wednesdays.