The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

New Age Rock Band Greta Van Fleet

This rock band might take you back to the 70s.
New Age Rock Band Greta Van Fleet

Known for their old rock and roll style, Led Zepplin comparison, and outstanding vocals, Greta Van Fleet has gained an amazing fanbase in only a few years.  From Frankenmuth, Michigan, 4 boys formed a band.  Josh Kiszka as the lead singer, Sam Kiszka on keys and bass, Jake Kiszka on the guitar, and the drummer Daniel Wagner.  

At such a young age these boys have shared their passions through music. They signed to Lava and Republic Records in March 2017 and released their debut single the same year titled “Highway Tune.”  According to Grammy Awards, the songs spent five weeks at number one on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs chart. 

The band released their first EP album “Black Smoke Rising” in August 2017.  They then released their second EP album “From the Fires” in November 2017 with their second single “Safari Song.” 

A year later Greta released their first album in 2018. “Anthem of the Peaceful Army” and made a video debut of “When the Curtain Falls”  on Jimmy Fallon. Sam Kiszka tells us that this album was a concept album. Mentioning that it has themes of global concerns.  The band really takes their time to focus on spreading messages through their music. 

The lead singer, Josh Kiszka, says, “When it comes down to climate change, we’re all in this world together.”

A few years later in 2021 the band evolved and released “The Batte at Gardens Gate.” It tells a story about the world we live in and the human experience.  In 2022 they went on a world tour titled “Dreams in Gold.” Focusing on the message of the last song on the album, “The Weight of Dreams.” The song scored the guitarist, Jake Kiszka, to be named best guitarist in 2021. 

They released their first song from their newest album in April of 2023 called “Meeting the Master.” They then went on to release “Sacred the Thread,” “The Falling Sky,” and “Farewell For Now” Then on July 19, 2023, they released their latest album, “Starcatcher,” and began their tour in July of 2023 Nashville, Tennessee.  They are now continuing on their “Starcatcher” world tour.

According to guitarist Jake Kiszka in an interview, he says, “It’ll be really fun to play more of this record live because the way that these songs are structured there’s a lot of room for improvisation.  It’s very attitude-based. And so we get to take people on a whole new journey.”

The band plays with rich emotion and puts on fantastic shows.  With their 70s rock and blues/folk inspiration they have created an interesting discography.  Along with poetic lyrics from the lead singer with powerful vocals.  Greta Van Fleet has made a promising start and hopes to have more music coming in the future.