The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Seniors Win Powder Tuff

Powder tuff;

Powder Tuff is when the boys play a game of volleyball coached by the girls volleyball team. 

One of the biggest homecoming events at the high school.  Who will win and who will lose? 1000 class points on the line.  

The game is played one set and up to 25 points. Whoever reaches 25 points first wins.

The seniors are predicted to win by a lot of students at the school. Megan Bleazard, a sophomore spectator, said “I want to say the sophomores will win but I know the seniors probably will.” Nathan Hawke, a senior player, said “Seniors are going to win.”  

But the juniors still have hope that they can win. Alexis Egbert, one of the junior coaches, said, “We have a chance to win if we play all out.” 

The seniors started off with a win for their first game. It was a close game between them and the freshman. The freshman traded off points back and forth but the seniors were able to pull ahead for the win.   

The next game was sophomores vs juniors. It was a tight game but then Corbin Hislop got a kill for the juniors giving them the momentum they needed to win. 

Now to decide who gets 3rd and who gets last. Both teams have a chance to redeem themselves. The Sophomores offensive skills caused them to gain a big lead of 10-3.  Sophomores beat the freshman putting them in 3rd and the freshman taking last. 

The championship game, seniors vs. juniors, both wanting to win. The seniors worked together offensively, getting kills and aces. Ethan Powell was able to put the ball away whenever he was set. The Juniors worked together defensively, getting blocks and digs. The juniors couldn’t give up without a fight and were able to win the second set 17-16. They had to play a tiebreaker set to decide who wins it all. 

The seniors offensive skills outnumbered the juniors, they were able to serve 5 points in a row winning the game 7-3.  

The seniors were able to live up to their expectations from their classmates. They won the class points which put them in first overall for the Spirit week Trophy.