The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Drill Starting a Competitive and Busy Season

Yearbook Staff

Winter is coming and for the drill team that means a busy season is ahead of them. Competition season is right around the corner along with winter sports. Thus, starting in December the team will be having daily practices, weekly performances, and monthly competitions.

The Lareitts practice Monday-Friday from 6-8am. On red days, they also have a class period that allows them more time to practice. A couple times a month the team will also practice on Saturdays from 6-10am.  When basketball starts, the girls will perform during halftime at the home games. Then on December 16 they will compete at their first competition. 

With a busy schedule it can be stressful to balance school, drill, and a social life. Lani Firth, senior, drill member and historian, said, “ I try my best to get the school work done during the class period instead of stressing about getting it done late. I stay focused in class to get the assignments done on time. Then later after school instead of having homework I can practice my routines.” 

The competition process is long. It started earlier this year in May where choreographers came in and taught the team their dances. Once they learned the routines each girl would have to go and practice it individually. Not everyone on the team gets to be in the competition dances, so the coaches hold a tryout for each dance to see if you fit into the routine. After the coaches pick who is in the dances, they practice them to clean and perfect it before the first competition. 

In November, the Larietts have to perform their competition routines at the home basketball games before they can compete with them. This also helps the coaches and captains see what they need to improve or fix before their first competition. 

This year the team is competing in 5 total competitions including region and state. 

During region the girls will get to compete against Morgan for the first time, with it being the first year they have a drill team. Brynlee Merrill, junior, team member, said, “ I think it’s interesting. They haven’t had a drill team in so long I’m curious to see how comp will go for them, and see how they fit into the drill world.” 

The long competition process will end at the state tournament on January 31, 2024. Maggie Sadler, junior, drill member and co-captain, said, “We are very excited for state. We are working very hard and are more dedicated than ever. We have run into many obstacles but are fighting hard to push through them. We expect to do well and are excited to see what this season brings.” 

With all the work the team puts in, the feeling of accomplishment follows at the end of  the long and busy competition season. Kate Ison, junior, drill member, said “ I am excited for the feeling that all our hard work has paid off.”