The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Scots sent home with a bitter result.

The GHS girls basketball team has been playing a remarkable season, placing 6th out of more than 130 teams in the whole state of Utah, with an overall of 13 won and only 2 lost games.
Emma Thacker
Baylee Lowder dribbling the basketball at GHS on 1/15/24

The girls basketball team is very unite, with a shared friendship that takes them to win almost everygame they play.

Gracie Holm, junior of the basketball team, said, “The friendship and culture that we have and we are growing is the best part of playing basketball”.

On Thursday, the 18th of January, the Cowboys team played Ben Lomond in an home game full of excitement from the student section.

Grantsville started really good, by closing the first quarter with a clear advantage on the opposing team, with a partial of 19-7.

The Cowboys were very confident on the second quarter, but they didn’t know that Ben Lomond would not surrender  easily; the Scots played their highest scoring quarter, with 14 points, but the Cowboys responded with 25 points to take the partial at 44-21.

After the half time show of the Lariettes and the Cheerleaders the two teams came back strong on the court, and between a steal and a stop, between a three-pointer and a layup, the third quarter ended again with the Grantsville Cowboys on the lead, with a partial of 63-30.

The last quarter was very intense, and even if all the players were tired they still showed the student section and the public on the stands a very good game, full of twist and turns, taking the final score at 70-34.

There’s a lot of excitement in the air, since the Girls Basketball team is playing a great season, and in the Region Championship they are unbeaten with an overall of 4-0.

Lexi Egbert, junior of the basketball team, said, “I think region is going great, it’s an amazing opportunity for us to go more in depth on our skill work and focus on the small parts of our game that we somethimes don’t get to work on; region is my favorite part of the season because I love being able to play ahainst our rival teams and showed eberyone how hard we’ve worked.”