The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

Softball Season Starting Soon

With the cold winter months ending soon and the warmer spring days coming; softball season is right around the corner and the team is excited. 

The softball team had a great season last year that ended with a 10-0 win against North Sanpete in the state championship. They ended with the record of 27-4 and went undefeated in region. 

The team has started to prepare by having open gyms twice a week. This gives players a chance to improve their skill before tryouts and help the incoming freshman learn the culture of the team. 

At open gyms the girls practice throwing, hitting, pitching and catching. Brooklyn Olson, junior outfielder, said “We get a lot of reps in during open gym of the rotation of cover hitting, defense, conditioning and skill work. It helps us get faster and have a better reaction time. Open gym is where we tweak the little things we need to work on before we get into the season. It helps us get into the groove of things and get better. ” They practice inside while the weather is bad and are expecting to be outside by the time tryouts rolls around. 

The girls are excited for the upcoming season. With the title of being state champs to defend the team is ready to get back into it. Payten Bytheway, sophomore pitcher, said, “I am very excited for this season. I can’t wait. I’m looking forward to having a younger team this year and being able to bond with the girls.”

Not only has the softball team built a winning program they also built a positive program. The girls are like a family and love each other. Maliyah Bohman, sophomore first baseman, said, “My favorite part about softball is the relationships that I build and the lessons that I learn from it. My teammate and I have a good relationship.”  

Tryouts will be held February 26 and 27. They will decide who’s on the team from there and start practices on February 28. Then they will play their first game on March 7 at Cedar high school.