The Student News Site of Grantsville High School

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed

An unexpected end for the boys basketball team

Since November 6th 16 boys have been putting in sweat and tears, every single day, multiple hours a day, with a dream in common: bear the name of the Cowboys all around Utah.

It has been a really long season, full of twists and turns; sometimes nobody believed in them, someone even quit the team, but the players never stopped having faith in themself.

In the last home games everybody saw how the hard work was finally paying off, winning against South Summit and then back to back against Ben Lomond, and even if the team lost against Ogden, region champs of the year, they were full of hope for the incoming State tournament.

Fate wanted that the Cowboys were sorted against Ogden again, just a week after they played them.

The four seniors of the team knew what they had to do, because in case they lost they would have ended their high school basketball career with a bitter taste in their mouth.

Everybody was locked in for the beginning jump ball at 1pm on Saturday, 17th of February.

Keltin Byrd, junior of the basketball team, said, “We didn’t really prepare for the game all too much, we worked on ourselves a lot that week but we didn’t really focus on Ogden.”

Playing a great first quarter the Cowboys were on the lead with the score of 18-16, but going on the game changed and the Ogden Tigers managed to win the second quarter.

All the players and Coach Kaylie were not ready to give up, so coming back from the halftime break in the court there was a constant fight for the ball, with nerve-wrecking actions ending up with stops or good shots from both teams.

Even with all the effort the Cowboys put in the game, there was nothing to do and the Ogden Tigers reconfirmed themself superior and won the game with a result of 47-57, putting an end to the Grantsville High School boys basketball team season.

Keltin Byrd said, “I imagined the game would’ve worked out differently from the look of the game after the first quarter.”

A lot of tears have been shed, from players that wanted their careers to end in a completely different way, but some of them are still proud of the season they played and know that their efforts were not useless.

Keagan Kinsman, senior in the basketball team, talking about the season said, “I think we played great, we had our ups and downs but it was a great stepping stone for the coaches for the next year.”